Submitted: 03-30-2013 by grace

I purchased a red Yukon (rojo la barcaza) after much research including testing a Long Haul Ute (the original narrow beam notably tippy version which weighed 54# - it had two hatches and keel strips). The Ute is faster and probably more durable but does not lend itself to activities such as photography or ease of entry/exit due to its lack of initial stability.

The Yukon is only 42#, very quick to assemble with only three crosspieces, has a large cockpit and load capacity, extremely stable but I still average ~ 3 mph without trying to go fast – if you work at it steadily 3.5 mph is realistic and I am no hard core paddler.

IMO the jury is still out on the durability of the new Elvaloy hull – mine is already scuffed a bit at some pressure points even though I bought the expedition version – nothing even close to leaking though. I can go quite a few hours but not without some squirming so I'm considering upgrading to a different seat - I have the standard one. I've assembled it four times and each time found some aluminum shavings inside… cringe.

I've only had it three months but have used it quite a bit and would almost certainly buy another if something happened to mine.

New York Kayak Co.: