Submitted: 03-12-2013 by Ted

I have owned my OT Columbia for about 20 years now. I bought it used, but in excellent condition, from a private party. It is in what I call a "HD" kevlar layup - not the lightest kevlar canoe (~55 lbs.) out there, but built for durability.

I have used it several times for BWCA trips and it has always done very well, handling rough water confidently as well as being a good straight tracker regardless of wind conditions. I have also used it on small, winding rivers which are NOT its strong suit - it doesn't like to turn very quickly. Now I use my Esquif Mistral 16 for the rivers.

If you don't need the lightest kevlar canoe out there for tripping, then a the durable OT Columbia is a fine canoe if you can find a used one in good condition (OT hasn't made this model for years). Happy paddlin'!