Submitted: 02-24-2013 by Mark Allard

There may not be such thing as a "Do All" anything, but in the world of paddling this comes pretty close. I bought this boat 4 months ago but have waited for the "NEW" to wear off so that I can give a unbiased review..... unfortunately I don't believe that is possible! I am without a doubt Biased towards this kayak. I live in the mountains of N.C. which allows for paddling as diverse as the people of this region. From "Conservative " flat water lakes, to "Moderate" slow moving rivers such as the French Broad River, and "Liberal Radical " class 3 and 4 whitewater like the Nantahala and Green River.

"Do all" is a very broad term....would you want to take this boat out in the ocean, probably not! Or class 4 rapids such as the "Green River Narrows", you can but I won't be following you! But I would have no reservations taking this boat on a 15-20 mile flat water paddle. With the retractable skeg down it tracks like a 13' touring boat (I have in fact recently did a similar trek with some friends that had 13 footers and had no problem keeping up). Yet it is still short and nimble enough to tackle class 3 rapids.

It's not an ocean kayak and it certainly is no whitewater play boat, but if you are like myself and can only afford one kayak but want to paddle different waters this is the boat for you. With adjustable seating, a back hatch for ample storage, and the ability to add a skirt. This is a very utilitarian kayak. For $750 retail its a bargain. I had considered buying the 11' Zydeco for $550 to save a few bucks but in hindsight that would have been a real mistake. Though its a fun recreational kayak there is no possible way it would track like a 13' and a class 2 is the limit it could do. If you have the opportunity buy this boat!

Yak Pads: