Submitted: 01-21-2013 by dsdkyk

Greenland paddles have been my choice of kayak propulsion for close to a decade. Because I am no craftsman, I have ordered all the wooden paddles I have used from Tuktu, who make a great product. Nevertheless, after reading many paddle reviews and talking to Ron Steinwall at Novorca, I chose to move beyond the wood to carbon fiber. With CF I hoped for increased durability, lower weight, greater design flexibility and the promise of being able to use the same paddle every time.

I cannot yet evaluate my new paddle's durability but it gives every appearance of toughness so far. It is unquestionably light despite the fact that I elected to order a two-piece model. The blades are thinner with finer edges than I think is possible in wood. My stroke is more efficient now. The blade enters the water more easily and sheds less when I lift it from the water.

The seam in the loom is tightened to rigidity by turning the locking button 90 degrees with an Allen wrench. This expands an internal cam within the joint.

My new Novorca CF paddle exceeds every functional goal I had for it. But it completely surprised me with a feature I hadn't anticipated; it is comfortable to hold. No, not comfortable. It is COMFORTABLE. This kind of comfort cannot be measured. It is an intangible which defies measurement. But when I first held and used my paddle, I fell in love. I am ruined for any other paddle.

Functionality is one thing and it is the only thing that concerned me when I ordered my paddle. But Novorca paddles are not only functional, they are art. Mine is beautiful. The color I chose was ivory. Ron didn't just make it ivory. He created an ivory scrimshaw effect with an engraving of a kayak hunter approaching a walrus. My paddle is perfect and Ron was superb. He patiently held my hand through conception and design and was available when I called to discuss construction and the art. Lastly, Ron Steinwall doesn't do anything half way. The packaging my paddle arrived in perfectly protected the paddle and was sturdy enough to ship crystal.