Submitted: 11-20-2012 by Noel

The reason I am doing this review is because I have seen only one other review on this kayak and it is such a unique kayak. There is very little information on this kayak on the internet as well. This is some of the research I found on the Freewater.

The early designs when Valley took over North Shore were sold to Kajak Centrum, an old reputable Danish company specializing in kayaks, canoes & accessories. They had a few of these boats built under the Eagle Freewater label. As I understand they were identical and very good quality as well. Northshore (now part of Valley Kayaks) still builds a close cousin that was formerly known as the Shoreline and now known as the Atlantic LV. There was a Shoreline under the Eagle label as well. Both of these designs have had a big influence on coastal exploring day trippers.

The Freewater is a rare but incredible little Greenlander. I have had this little kayak out in some nasty 30-knot tidal chop off Vancouver Island in November. I think I might have been more comfortable in my Nimbus Telkwa but in all honesty, it is probably more my nervousness of it being the smallest of my four kayaks.

The initial stability is good & the secondary is a confidence builder. It does not have a skeg or rudder & I haven't seen any need to add one. At 16' in length, 22" in width, and 12.5" in depth this composite glass kayak is very light. It is nice not having to use a dolly as I do with my other kayaks. This is as an easy kayak to maneuver and lays over nice to edge. I am happy with the speed.

It doesn't have a front hatch so I have an air bladder, room for a dry bag and there is still room for an under deck day hatch which I have rigged. The back hatch is a Valley with lots of room & it is water tight. This kayak has enough hatch room for several days of touring. The deck line and bungees are laid out simple into recessed fittings. I have worked as a shipwright and the inside resin & glass finishing is excellent.

I agree with the reviewer below on just about everything else he has covered. I gave it a 9 because of the beautiful lines it has. If you can find one of these little beauties at a good price grab it. You won't regret it.

Talic: