Submitted: 10-03-2000 by Russ

The OT Pack has provided several surprises over the past few months. First of all, I bought the Pack because of its weight (33 pounds) and small size; something I could handle with advancing years and an aging back. The best surprise was the agility with which the canoe maneuvers on the water. On a quite pond or slow current, it can turn quickly and easily with a minimum of effort.

Going straight, as mentioned by many others before me, can be a different story. I have found that a single paddle, combined with a focused effort, can get the Pack to track fairly straight on quiet water. I plan to acquire a double bladed paddle shortly and develop some skill in propelling the Pack with a bit more grace and efficiency.

Another reviewer described the Pack as "a wiggly little boat." I have to agree, the Pack can be a little touchy, particularly at put-in or take-out. If you forget to balance across the top of the canoe or do not think about keeping a low center of gravity as you board, it is quite likely that you take a swim. This boat does will (re)teach you the subtleties of balance, poise, and patience.

All together the Pack is a fun little canoe. It provides a good fishing platform for ponds and lakes, it is easy to rack on top of my vehicle, and satisfies my need to get on the water. And that was exactly what I was looking for.