Submitted: 10-17-2012 by johnheiam
I have had the trailer for a couple of years and it performs as well as everyone says. However I want to warn people who are thinking of buying the trailer that you probably want to buy the extension even if you don't plan on transporting long boats. Yakima says you can transport a 17 ft boat with the standard tongue. However the only way you can transport any boat longer than 12 ft is to put them exactly in the middle. If you put a 14 - 17 ft boat near the outside of the trailer it is very easy to damage your car and the boat when turning, especially when backing up. I did $600 worth of damage to my van when I tried to transport a friends 17 ft kayak on a shuttle.

The other reason to buy the extension is that it makes the trailer much easier to backup. With the standard tongue the trailer reacts very quickly to any input, and really taxes your backup skills. With the longer tongue the rig settles down and backs up the way most boat trailers do. It is annoying that the extension isn't a no-cost option.

Suspenz: