Submitted: 10-03-2012 by RHE

I've had my Pam 145 for a bit over 7 years. I've mostly used it for 8 - 16 mile trips on the tidal rivers of the eastern Chesapeake Bay. It has been a good performer in this role with or without two people. My dock does not float so having a big open cockpit has helped in getting in and out at low tide. I don't have a rudder but have not had trouble keeping it straight enough. Unlike many, I usually ride in the back seat when solo without difficulty.

This past weekend I crossed the Chesapeake Bay (7.3 mile one way 8.6 back plus another three inland). Despite the 1 - 2' waves the boat never made me feel it was not capable. I did not use a rudder I did ballast the front a bit with a couple gallons of water and my gear (in case of overnight needs). It handled the trailing quartering wave well and never broached in the troughs. On the return leg most waves were near broadside again with no problem. Perhaps not the best craft for this purpose it nonetheless it performed very well. I would not recommend much higher waves but can't say I know the limit.

I love this boat and for back shallow water trips with a nap in the middle (very roomy) it can't be beat. Fun for the kids up front too.