Submitted: 06-14-2012 by JB

Old Town makes great products! I know this because I have purchased several canoes (Katahdin, Discovery, etc.) from them in the past and have had nothing but great reviews and experiences.

I recently purchased the Guide 119 (Camo) and have to say that with all my experiences on the water (lakes, rivers, bays, etc.) over the years I felt like a novice in this canoe! I felt like I was on a carnival ride the moment I sat down in it. I'm not a big person (5'6"; 170 lbs.) but just could not feel comfortable reaching for anything (tackle box, rod, fishing net, etc.) during my time on the water. Within an hour and a half on my maiden voyage, I was in the water with all my gear floating inside the canoe! It happened so fast that I had no time to recover from the top heaviness feeling I had just before entering the water! I swam to shore, emptied the water out, filled all my gear, and headed for the boat ramp. Loaded the canoe on the car and headed back to the store where I purchased this and asked for a refund.

This OT Guide 119 canoe is made of quality materials, is very light to handle on/off the car for one person but have to say that I was not impressed with the handling of this unit on the water. Not many folks have spoken of this in their reviews but I actually purchased this unit based on the entire positive (10 of 10, etc.) feedback that people gave. Stable is mentioned in the product description! I beg to differ!

Buyer's: do yourself a favor and go out and purchase a little bigger canoe than the Guide 119. You will not regret it!