Submitted: 05-11-2012 by monstor
Rock Solid Instruction! Easy to understand, great demos, and easy to retain! Even a mostly solo paddler like me had great success using this DVD!

I got my first boat last in April 2011 (used Prijon Touryak)and tried to do my first rolls in August in a warm lake - I made much noise and splashing, not knowing that it is really all technique and very little paddle power. I had read books and watched other videos, but never even got close to completing a basic sweep roll.

I have done most of my learning solo after getting foundations down from the ACA basics class and fellow padding club members, so I was confident I could learn to roll without the benefit of a dedicated instructor. I was quite wrong on that account, but this DVD is like having these two masters working with you!

I got this video 2 weeks ago, watched the Sweep roll section twice and the stretching section. After visualizing the sweep roll, doing the land exercises and stretches, I really felt I got the concepts down. The focus on proper use of the legs, hips & supports(floats, paddles, hands) are invaluable.

Last Sunday I practiced at a local pool session on my own using one of my drybags for a float, like the segment Sherri leads in the river, and sure enough I got onto the back deck easily after relaxing, lining up my shoulders, and following the other excellent guidance. Sherri's and Turner's tips about relaxing, keeping shoulders level, and taking care of the boat first were spot on! Then I added my paddle and tried rolling up on the right and nailed it on my 2nd attempt, unextended! That first success was quickly followed by several more successes at rolling up on the right, including 4 re-entry & roll-ups!

Today I got the left side sweep roll going in a local lake after identifying what I was doing wrong using the tips from the video.

I'll be working on the Storm Roll next, having watched the segment on that once already, and I am confident I can learn it with Sherri & Turner's help. If you find your style or situation is often a solo one, this is still a great tool to use for learning and improving your rolls. Now it's just practice, practice, practice.

Bang up, Job, Sherri & Turner & crew. Thank you!