Submitted: 01-09-2012 by BIS

Like many, I bought my Hullavator because of shoulder surgery (both). Was initially pleased even though the latching was a slight issue. However, it does not fit my composite kayak very well, and seems to be designed more for white water boats. Hairline cracks developed where the hull sat on the hard plastic pieces. I pad those places with foam, now, but sometimes they work free at freeway speeds. I have not found a way to permanently secure them while allowing the mechanisms to operate. I am very careful to wash ALL my gear after paddling, and thoroughly rinse my car and rack system, however it was only a short time before the Hullavator system began to rust. The dealer replaced the parts at their expense after I was unable to get any response from Thule. I went back to using Yakima "J" racks (which also began rusting very shortly after purchase). I am going to have to use the Hullavators, again, because my next vehicle has a high roof. Better than nothing, but they could do better.