Submitted: 08-31-2011 by johnsonsixpac

I paddled the Missouri river in 2008 and purchased this canoe for that purpose. I wanted the cargo capacity for all my gear. That canoe and tent were my home for 4 months. Empty the canoe is a little skittish, but loaded it's quite stable. Major gear included 40lb tent, folding cot, chair, 2 sleeping mats, 2 sleeping bags, coleman campstove, gas, and up to 12 gallons of water with a 4 gallon shower bag. The heavy canoe was unresponsive paddling until I got up a little speed, then it was fine. I removed the stern seat and paddled the canoe backwards from the bow. Being symmetrical it was fine. The royalex impressed me with how tough it was. I got caught by sudden winds and the canoe carried over the waves without taking on any water. For the money this is one tough durable canoe. A solo canoe may have been faster, but this canoe did what I wanted, carried a lot of gear. If I did it again I'd take the same canoe and go slower to enjoy the river more.