Submitted: 08-16-2011 by skyak

Just purchased this 'yak and have only been on water ~3 hours with it on a pretty calm lake, so this is based on a single experience so far... Took my daughter out with me; I'm 220, she's only about 80 lbs. I bought the boat for a combination of tandem paddling with my daughter and some solo paddling.

After an hour of paddling tandem I was ready to take it back. As others have noted, tracking is difficult (no rudder) and it's a little cramped for 2 compared to other sit-on-top tandems I've used. If the front paddler remains in a neutral position, I found it relatively easy to keep straight, but if the front paddler tends to lean on the stroke that seems to have a big effect.

After taking it out for a solo turn, I changed my mind completely. Every kayak is a balance of compromises. This one is a very nice recreational solo boat that can also take a second (smaller) person. It is a much different boat when solo'd - comfortable, fast, pretty nimble for a longer boat. I am quite happy with this tradeoff, but others who are looking for something to use primarily as a tandem may not be.