Submitted: 07-19-2011 by elsouthers
I bought the Castaway 116 about 3 years ago "used" from a guy I met while looking for a new fishing kayak. I liked it at first, used it 2 seasons and caught a lot of fish. First time out this year was for a paddle trip on a lazy river in central Wisconsin, the Mecan River. Within 5 minutes after launch I noticed that there was more water than ever before in the leg and seat area. My wife, from her kayak, noticed that my butt was riding low in the water. Couldn't figure it out but basically I sank within 10 minutes, finally capsizing when I took a stroke toward shore to get out and try to find the problem. There were no obvious problems so we dumped the water and started again. Same problem, we were wise to it so I didn't dump again. Ended up shifting people around (we had one canoe in the group) and towed the empty Castaway for the rest of the trip. My fishing was ruined for the day but otherwise it was a decent paddle.

Now, to the problem and the reason I'm writing the review:
When I got home and tried to find the leak it was almost impossible. I finally thought to put a flashlight inside the hull and look for light shining through after dark. I could see a tiny bit of light coming through the seam between hull pieces inside the stern-deck scupper hole. This seam is at or under the surface while paddling. I plugged the scupper hole completely with expanding foam and paddled it for 15 minutes or so this morning. It appears to have worked but, after reading about other seam issues here, I don't trust it. I bought myself a new one piece Perception kayak today, will try it out tomorrow.
Good paddling and good fishing to all!

Portage Pal: