Submitted: 07-07-2011 by JFL

Bought my Pack 13 years ago because of its wonderfully light weight that I can handle alone and carry on a small car top on the factory rack--still the 2 features I like best. Have used it on small ponds to huge lakes, initially for paddling & fishing, and most recently for paddling my 2 dogs (90 lbs total + my 150 lbs) around exploring the lake. I much prefer using a kayak (double-bladed) paddle--saves a lot of course correcting and speeds paddling.

Surprisingly stable for such a small boat, even with a squirming, nervous dog on board--have never accidentally capsized, even in heavy wind when I thought we might swamp. But, unlike a full-size, 2-man canoe, I cannot climb back into it on water if I jump out to swim. Not good in heavy wind/waves, but I didn't expect it to be. Have never tried it on a river--afraid to attempt any whitewater in such a small, open boat until I read some of these other positive reviews--maybe with extra flotation bags. Never thought of lowering the seat as some reviewers suggest, but when the water's rough, I do kneel to get my center of gravity down lower.