Submitted: 06-30-2011 by J. Maxey

Well, as far as being unstable I haven't found it to be so. My wife and I have had one for about three yrs. now and we live on a river and use it often. We pack lawn chairs, an ice chest, sun umbrella, picnic basket and two Boykin Spaniels in ours on a regular basis and haven't turned over yet. However, I've let various people use it and placing a third person amidships sitting on something high like an ice chest seems to be a recipe for disaster with this canoe.

As far as handling characteristics, it's pretty much a pig when your by yourself in a high wind. I have to kneel amidships to turn it into the wind. This is my second canoe and I preferred the first one which was a 17 foot aluminum with a keel. It tracked better and carried a lot more gear, but the 147's not all that bad.