Submitted: 06-27-2011 by itayb

I am 6' 215lbs and have been kayaking for the last 9 years. Lately I have gotten an Epic surf ski (v10s) as well and love it very much. for a long time I searched for a light weight big kayak I could paddle with the whole family in.

we are 4, my 2 kids are 6 and 9 and weigh 65-75 lbs each my wife is a slender sub 100lbs. No need to say I could not find what I was looking for. I did find a Spirit 2 which is an amazing family boat for us. On our last camping trip to lake Sonoma CA, led the 4 of us paddled it (with an old Town detachable plastic mid-seat) to the boat only campgrounds 3 miles from the launch in an Hour, fending of some serious mid-afternoon winds. needless to say we had all our camping equipment in the boat with us which was another 100lbs or so. the boat felt really comfortable and easy going and whenever correction were needed my 6 year old boy in the front seat helped with a draw and a pry here and there.

We have also went down the Russian River in it and plan many more such trips. I would really like to own the fast Minnesota 2 but I think that when the kids grow up a bit I might just move to the Champlain or Itasca.

In summary I am very pleased with my Spirit 2 - tough weave in a bright red Ferrari color!