Submitted: 06-20-2011 by Eddie

I bought this canoe recently, used. Mine went by the name Sportsman Quest. The previous owner had purchased another canoe and didn't need 2. my price point was about $200 and the price was right. I had searched in the retail stores for a canoe and found this one the weekend before for around $500. that was too much for me. with the extra money I had saved on the vessel alone enabled me to outfit the canoe for comfort and for fishing.

We have recently had this out on the lake several times outfitted with a 3 hp trolling motor which moved the vessel just fine for a period of about 7-8 hours and still maintained a 50 charge on the battery!!that being said I am not here to review the trolling motor, but that is to say that the craft is not so overly heavy and unmanueverable that it would drain a single battery running a trolling motor and a fish finder :-) . I have also found that the canoe is easy to make additions to without destroying the structural integrity of the boat.

It was recently taken on a river trip through class 1 and 2 rapids...not too bad , but fun. the canoe was very maneuverable with two people through this test. because my partner bow paddler was inexperienced at reading water obstacles, many times I thought the canoe was going to flip during this trip but did not. so the extra width was a plus for us. Stability, well I don't recommend making any sudden standing movements in it as side to side stability is wanting in that department. However, if you want to stabilize it more from side to side I would recommend getting a set of outriggers for it. after all, it IS a canoe not meant for having dance parties in it.

My advice if buying one of these...don't pay more than $300 for it If you are going to use it for fishing. You'll want the extra cash to outfit it with a trolling motor, battery, fishfinder, rod holders, and sitback seats(mine are custom made, by me, stadium style seats bolted to the existing seats with lock swivels= total cost of $20.00 each.) Also, make sure that you secure the battery to the middle seat area. If you put it in the back where I thought I might like it for getting it out of the way initially, the weight of the motor and the battery will sink the back end of the canoe when the motor is engaged and you'll be scooping out water. Just keep the battery in the middle of the boat.

Also do not depend on the dry well to keep your valuables safe. I always bag my stuff in dry sacks. the dry well is NOT a dry well..just a place to secure your stuff in case the boat flips(you'll note as one reader thought ...it is NOT o-ring sealed.) I give this canoe a 10 for it's performance and ability to customize it for a variety of tasks. you can have a lot of fun in this boat if you use common sense about it, secure your gear, dry sack everything you don't want to get wet, etc.