Submitted: 08-16-2000 by Mike

This is from the perspective of a total novice, not used to "wiggly little boats" or any canoes at all. I got my Pack as a damaged/repaired markdown that was a great deal. I wanted something to get me into canoeing that I could put on and off the car by myself and also carry to the water. In that regard, it is wonderful. I believe if I can learn to paddle this little thing, I can paddle anything. There seems to be no secondary stability, and the initial stability is balanced on a knife edge. The boat may be a bit small for me (6'2, 250#).

I have found the best approach, is to sit on the seat with my legs crossed indian-fashion. There is not room under the seat for my size 13s, so kneeling is out. I will look into a foam saddle. The boat is highly maneuverable, but begs for a kayak paddle. Wind has minimal effect. My properly-sized single paddle (58cm) seems about 3"-4" too long, though, and I suspect a narrower-bladed beavertail will be best. Perhaps time will tell. In summary, a great little boat to get you out in the water, but don't make any sudden moves or hard paddle strokes! I suspect there are much better choices for the beginner.