Submitted: 04-05-2011 by butler.smythe

I may be crazy but I have my Echo Ace rowing shell ready to deliver to a buyer in TN. Last summer I bought a QCC 700X and a Huki SX-1 Special. I have not given up nor will I ever - rowing- but have taken the Kayak plunge (I did sell my other kayaks too...).

The latest this winter was to order a rowing ergometer. Tough as it was (sticker shock) compared to my Concept2 Erg I bough a VASA and gave it a try thinking I would use the variable possibilities of the machine. I quickly realized that Kayaking only was my best option and returned it for a dedicated machine I though would be better for what I needed. As soon as I shipped the VASA I ordered a KAYAKPRO SpeedStroke, immediately listed and sold my Concept2 Ergometer before the erg arrived, and waited only 2 day and a couple of hrs to set up - and I was in heaven! I quickly realized the SpeedStroke had excellent visibility of the display (no reflections, time for distance was very accurate, the kayak handle was sturdy and light (I cut off the rubber grips that caused 2 Blisters I never had before kayaking), and the mirror I added to my wall allowed me to really see my form and improve my stroke immediately(that was from Lowes).

The SpeedStroke is smooth, quiet and though I paid a heck of a lot in shipping in this exchange, was the right move for me. My first day on the water in my Huki surfski this year (Sunday) (I'm still a newbee) was a HUGE change. I could tell immediately that I was .5MPH faster than last fall and I felt MUCH more comfortable in all aspects of my stroke and balance. I use the SpeedStroke every AM and though I sometimes dread the 0430 alarm, once I start rowing (B52's help) I don't stop till I'm done (10k) and am at work by 0700. I did learned one huge lesson from both machines - NEVER wear rowing shorts with a center seam - NEVER! Some will know what I mean.

Only complaint is that Concept2 has the ability to record data on a card and read it on your computer - everyone should have that. Otherwise I'm a convert! I've never had a better workout and have been doing this for 56 years. OK - I never trained in HS, College Rowing was fun and I had a few lapses. All is forgiven and I'm looking forward to 0430. Soon I'll be 0430 and the real kayaks(s) - after work.