Submitted: 03-10-2011 by EvenKeel

I have had my Kodiak for 6 months and have paddle it under a variety of mostly calm conditions. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs, with size 12 feet, and the Kodiak fits me like a glove.
    Positives:
  • I think it is well laid out. I've come to really like the day hatch ahead of the cockpit, but as others have mentioned, it is not waterproof. Unlike one other commenter, I have no trouble reaching the cargo netting that's forward of the day hatch.
  • The storage space really is cavernous, and this is one of the reasons I chose the Kodiak. However, someone that doesn't over-pack would not need this kind of space unless out for more than a week.
  • The hatch covers, though somewhat unwieldy, are very dry and secure.
  • I like the fairly stiff plastic. It will dent if you crank down on the car-top carrier straps, but less so that most other boats.
  • If you want a rudder, and I do, then the pivoting pedals are the only way to go. They give you the support of fixed pegs. I don't find the hardware arrangement to be a problem.

Negatives:

• This boat is a beast to maneuver. With little rake in the bow and zero rocker, you will not finesse it through turns, by edging or otherwise. Time and/or brute strength is required.
  • Given the difficulty in maneuvering, the balanced rudder that is often sold for this boat does not have enough surface area. It's OK for counteracting weathercocking- which is all I really use it for, but it quickly stalls if turned more than a few degrees.
Overall, I like this boat and it works well for someone my size (or larger!) in open water where a lot of maneuvering is not required. It should make a great expedition boat and has been use as such in some publicized trips. If you are of average or smaller size and don't need to carry weeks of supplies, or if you favor small rivers and creeks, you could make a better choice.