Submitted: 01-26-2011 by LRB

After my fishing from a SOT for close to a year, I decided it was time to add another boat so friends could come along. Due to price and reviews, I ended up choosing the Dick's version of the Discovery 119. At 43 lbs. I can carry, load, and launch it by myself with ease. On the water, it responds and tracks like a champ. The carrying capacity allows plenty of cargo for a multi-night camping trip. I primarily fish smaller rivers with limited rapids.

As others have stated, this canoe works best with a double bladed paddle. My only complaint, like so many others, is the seat. I remedied this problem with the purchase of a lightly padded plastic seat and a little ingenuity. It is now the most comfortable canoe I have ever ridden in and fishing/floating all day is not a problem. I have found this canoe to be very stable. More often than not, I fish from a standing position.

I was so impressed with this boat that shortly after buying it, I sold my SOT to buy another 119. I would recommend this boat to anyone. For $399 plus a seat upgrade, I don't think you can beat this boat for solo fishing/ camping/ floating.