Submitted: 10-13-2010 by Tootsie37

Love my Grummans owned since 1957, never bothered by noise or cold and will keep up with the best of any other brand. Saw my first one at Boy Scout Camp in 1946. At age 16 in 1948 a buddy and I paddled the 100 mile Adirondack canoe route from Old Forge to Upper Saranac Lake where we put our rented 15 footer (flotation was air tanks at the stems) on a train to return it to the livery in Old Forge.

In 1957 I bought a damaged 15' Grumman for $35, in which a father and son had not survived a whitewater accident. My future father-in-law owned a bar and had it repaired by a guy who welded aluminum beer kegs! I paddled it in the Hudson River Whitewater Derby in 1960 and on many camping trips with my family until I sold it in 1965 for $100 and brought an 18' standard also a 65 sq ft Gunter rigged Grumman sail rig.

In 1973 with 4 kids I did add a Mad River Malecite which I could paddle solo or tandem. I continue to paddle the 18' Grumman on local rivers, Cape Cod lakes and bays and canoe camping trips on northern Maine. rivers. At one point when it was stored in the yard and not tied down a 75 mph wind gust blew it into a white pine and flattened the sides and gunnels at the center thwart. with some lumber and a car jack I was able to get it back in reasonable shape. A note to Grumman explaining the damage and they graciously provided replacement gunnel sections, alum patches, rivets and instructions to repair the damage. A rep at the factory even phoned me at work to apologize for a delay when my note had been misplaced. What great customer relations!