Submitted: 10-05-2010 by Kayak Bob

I bought a KD78 about a year before Yakima bought the company. I had a tire failure on a trip, and when back checking the load rating, it became apparent that the company didn't know how to calculate load ratings. The company had initially rated the KD78 at 350 lbs, but quickly reduced it to 300 lbs, and that needs to be reduced further if you attach anything to the trailer, such as a spare time or tongue jack. Making matters worse, the wheels and tires were designed for use on a scooter, and the tires aren't even approved by the DOT for sale in the USA. The DOT numbers on the tires only identify where the tires are made, not an actual DOT approval. These tires are not safe above scooter speeds. When I confronted RAR about this, they concedes the tires were not safe above 55 mph. I tried to get the DOT to consider these issues, but I was disappointed to find out there must first be an accident, and even then accidents without personal injuries are of less interest to them. RAR finally agreed to accept the trailer back for a 90% refund, but then kept stalling until they finally told me they had sold the company. Yakima stepped up to the plate and followed thru on the refund, and now I just found out the trailer has been hit by a SECOND recall! If you want to use this trailer, do not load it up to its full rating, and replace the tires with motorcycle tires. Of course no motorcycle tire company will sanction this use though, trailer use is a special category, passenger cars tires don't even carry the correct "ST" rating.

Portage Pal: