Submitted: 09-13-2010 by FastGoose

Let me begin by saying this is a tough, well made, solid canoe. I don't think you could destroy it with a bulldozer. That being said, I'm not happy with the stability of it. I wasn't aware it had such a flat bottom. Took it out on a smooth lake yesterday and aside from that initial [in]stability, it was relatively A-OK. It got windy on the lake and it became a bear to handle, though. Brought it home and put it in my pool for more stability tests, thinking that maybe 'cause it was new I needed to get used to it. Well, I found its tipping point, or should I say tossing point! It nearly launched me and completely capsized with little effort at trying to tip it. My wife's words at that moment: "I'm not getting in that thing and neither is the dog"!

So, I have a dilemma. Do I try to sell it a two day old canoe and take a dumping on it, return it to the store 250 miles away, or ship it back for a refund via UPS for $150.00? All these problems are on me as I didn't try it out prior to purchase, (no one had one locally) but I have had other canoes (including an Old Town Disco 169) and a GREAT Stowe Allagash fiberglass model. At any rate, while it is obviously a good canoe for some, I think I bit off more than I could chew.
Anyone wanna buy a new Guide 147?