Submitted: 09-09-2010 by tnguyen8806
I am a newbie at canoeing. I recently purchased a used 13ft Grumman canoe. My partner and I use it for fishing. He is also new to canoeing. After taking it out a few times I few that it is safe to give this canoe a 10 out of 10. I know from the previous owner that this canoe is AT LEAST 25 years old. It is in great condition! I don't believe the previous owners took extra steps for it to be in this condition. The canoe is light and spacious. It is about 50 lbs. My partner and I have no problem loading and unloading it off of our 2002 Chevy Suburban(we are toothpicks). I am 5'1 and 100lbs and he is 5'7 and 130lbs.

I recommend this canoe to anyone who wants a stable canoe that will last them forever. Here's proof that it is stable: Our second trip paddling the canoe out across a bay to get to some marshland an unexpected thing happened. A HUGE fish about 3 ft long jumped out the water about 3 inches from our canoe because it appeared our paddle startled it; our chicken butts' was also startled and dove towards the opposite side(still in the canoe). I was thinking that we are going in to the water, to my surprise, the canoe did not flip or take on any water!

Proof #2. In the same day of the fish incident, while we were anchored near the marsh land my partner decided to stand up and cast since we were sitting in the canoe for several hours. He somehow lost his balance and fell down, his upper body went half way out the canoe and the canoe took on water but still did not capsize. It took on 5-10 gallons of water and came back upright.

I have been in a fiberglass canoe before and that canoe leaked and needed repair and I believe that canoe was much younger than my old canoe.

Get a Grumman if you want long lasting quality!