Submitted: 09-07-2010 by VeenstraR
I had family in town and did not want to take the time to put my racks on etc so I decided to rent a boat along with them. We rented 3 Journey 14's for 2 hours. Outfitting was nice for this price range, comfortable cockpit and even a day hatch. The big negative came when we started paddling. This is a very heavy boat with very little glide. When you stop paddling it tends to turn sideways on you. This happened to all 3 of us. The boats we rented did not have a skeg or the optional rudder. The hull did not seem to have a lot of rocker to cause them to behave the way they did nor was it windy. I mentioned this when we returned them and was told that was their complaint to Jackson, these boats were different than the prototypes. The had grown very heavy and required consistent paddling to keep going in the same direction. I would give it an 8 or 9 on comfort but a 4 or5 on performance. I have owned two other 14' boats and the Journey would not be on my short list for another boat.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: