Submitted: 08-16-2010 by Scott

I found this kayak is really a junk. I bought 2 Pelican 116, one for myself and the other one for my son. We took it out to the gulf last week. The kayak sunk (completely submerged) in the middle of the gulf about 250 yards from shore. I swam and dragged the kayak to dryland. Came to find out the seam is not completely sealed, so the water was coming in very quickly.

After I have done some research, it appears that it is very common for Pelican 2 piece kayak. I called the place I bought it from. They said very strange, this is the first one this year. What he really meant is, I have 4 replaced last year with the same issue. But that just to tell you the design is flawed and the quality control is poor. If you need some reliable, I will not recommend this. If you're looking for something and you don't care if it sunk. then this would be a cheap one to get.

Good luck, I swam 40 mins to get to shore with the heavy water loaded kayak. I hope your luck is better than mine.