Submitted: 08-12-2010 by Larry

Well it said 10 days and sure enough it took 10 days to get here from New York, I am in California. On the 11th day took it out to the local lake. It comes in a cardboard box. Then another cardboard box. So make sure you have a sharp knife to open the boxes. Once opened, out comes the instruction manual and the paddles. everything is in it's own plastic sheath. Have to cut this away also.

Once the Sea Eagle is on the ground, first thing you notice is the air valves have an O-Ring, it takes 7 of these O-Rings before you can put any air into the sea eagle. The O-Ring installation is no easy task. It took me two hours to get the 7 O-Rings on the valve stems.

The air pump works excellently and hopefully will continue for some time to come. It weighs about 50 lbs inflated. So if portage is a problem need two people to carry it. Once down to the edge of the water it is not easy to get into, as the sides will give way under your weight, so it is a hurry up proposition. Once in I was on my knees and getting into the seat was not easy either. As I moved one leg the bottom of the kayak would raise up so the stability is questionable. Someone said you could stand up, better be a good swimmer.

Once in the seat, the bottom scraped the mud and I was stuck, so rather than get out and in again, I used the paddle to try and push off the mud. That was easier said than done. Finally with some scooting and pushing and getting mud on and in the kayak I was finally sea born. Yahoo, the paddling is not easy, it takes some concerted effort and the wind will push you back in the mud.

Over all somewhat impressed. Next time will get someone to go with me.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: