Submitted: 08-09-2010 by Edward

I bought a used Catalina as my first Kayak. I am 5'10" and weigh 190 lbs. Despite it being designed for smaller paddlers, the Catalina fits me excellently. The thigh braces contact at exactly the right point. I have the foot braces in their furthest back position, but I would not move them further back if I could. My 35 lb dog can sit between my legs in the cockpit. With her there, it's verging on cramped. The Catalina is quite narrow, which might make it feel a bit tipsy to newer paddlers. The kayak tracks very well, but is a bit hard to turn. It is also quite fast. Both of the cargo spaces are separated from the cockpit by full bulkheads. They are very spacious. There is enough room for a compact tent, a sleeping bag, and food and water for at least a couple of days. I may have been lucky, but I got my Catalina, a skirt, and a mid-range paddle for $400. It was well worth the money.