Submitted: 07-30-2010 by torbin

Since I have used this boat for a few months, I decided I could write a review on it.I am 6'2" ~220#. The boat is red (I knew you would want to know that).

The boat performs as advertised. It is an extremely fun and versatile boat. The rear hatch and especially the drop down skeg make this boat what it is. And what is it? A really good crossover boat. A boat you can use on flat water or white water. I bought it primarily to have something to take down shallow rocky rivers and to poke around in river delta areas. It is the perfect boat for that. It is very stable, very comfortable and very easy to paddle. It is not a fast boat and not the boat for long lake journeys unless you are patient and have the time. After paddling one of my long sea kayaks, itís a bit of an adjustment to get used to paddling this short wide slow boat. I love taking this boat down to the local delta in the early morning and photographing wildlife from it. Did I mention it was very stable? It is a wide boat but not a problem for me. A smaller person might want to look at the XP-9. Same boat but sized down a bit. For my size the XP-10 was a better choice. The XP-10 could also handle someone quite a bit larger then I am.

This boat has a very large cockpit and getting a spray skirt for it was a little tricky. I tried three different ones before settling on a rand type skirt from Immersion Research (Lucky Charm with XXL deck size). Even this was hard to get on at first but I left it on for awhile and that stretched it out enough so that it goes on relatively easy. The cockpit rim is somewhat thick and angled at the back of the cockpit and spray skirts want to pop off when trying to make the long pull along the length of the cockpit. The rand type skirt really provides the good grip to make this easier.

In summary this is a high quality, comfortable, easy to paddle, crossover boat that lives up to its advertising and is worth the ~$1000 price tag.