Submitted: 07-22-2010 by LB

I am very disappointed in Old Town's view of their products and customers.
I bought a new Guide 119 from Dick's (no try out) several months ago. One trip on the water and I couldn't stay in the plastic seat. Slid right out. Read all the reviews and tried several things. Finally took the seat out and figured I would just sit on a cushion. Realize now that I have had the canoe for several months and only had it out for one trial run. Since then, it has been sitting in my garage while I tried to get the time to obtain things to try. Missed the spring fishing.

Last week OT sent me an email to complete an on-line customer satisfaction review. Other than the seat, I like the boat, but after completing the survey I had to ask myself WHY, after buying a brand new canoe from a supposedly experienced canoe maker, was I having to spend my time trying to make a seat that would work? I called OT. Their response was that they had never heard of a seat issue on those canoes and that I must be the only one having such a problem. The only options they offered were to buy a woven seat and bolt kit from them for around $100, or take the boat back to where I bought it for a refund (over 500 miles one way). One would think that an outfit that has been making canoes a long time would know what makes a good seat. Well, I wasn't such a big deal until they asked for my opinion. After talking to them and finding out that they don't really give a rat's @$$ I got kind of worked up.

I'll fix the seat myself, but I'll go out of my way to never spend another dime on an Old Town product or anything from their parent company. By the way, I have been paddling canoes for over 30 years, but this is my first, and probably last, experience with OT.