Submitted: 07-19-2010 by Striles

I just completed this boat after starting it in early April. This is my first wooden kayak and I purchased it as a kit about 7 years ago. The kit has been stored since then and I finally bit the bullet (and found the time) to build it this spring. Its maiden voyage was a couple of weeks ago on a high mountain lake in southern Oregon. I love it. It tracks beautifully and glides across the water like butter through a hot knife. Granted, I have nothing to compare it to, but I highly recommend this boat. I've customized it slightly, but in general I followed the plans pretty much to the letter. I also like the seat that came with the kit since it allows me to sit low in the boat offering much great stability.

One reviewer mentioned the fact that it uses nails to attach the deck. I like this look. The nails are copper and when they are shined up before sealing with epoxy, they create a very impressive contrast to the wood. One note on the epoxy supplied with the kit. It's a slow hardening epoxy, so be aware that it can flow for quite a while after its applied. Overall, this is a very impressive kayak that I anticipate will offer me many years of enjoyable paddling experiences.

Advanced Elements: