Submitted: 07-12-2010 by rossrichards

I bought a Barracuda a couple of years back as I wanted the robustness of plastic but narrow enough to paddle. I read reviews that suggested it was unstable however I have found it to be pretty stable. I have sent a few newby paddling friends out in the Barracuda and start with a very short training session. I get them to lean from side to side in the kayak - they soon notice that it tips slightly and then has stability. Once they "know" that it has a "secondary" stability point they have had no problem in paddling it.

I find it fairly easy to roll - it is however not very easy to enter from the water. I often use the kayak for trolling lures - I have put a small clip on the handle of my fishing rod which fastens under the netting in front of the kayak.

I have not yet encountered heavy sea but find it surfs smaller waves OK (for a sea kayak)

Harken Hoister: