Submitted: 05-26-2010 by tg

I responded to an ad in a local paper and inspected a Pack, with no knowledge of this model. As someone who had primarily paddled Clipper fiberglass canoes with rigid hulls, and felt that was what I preferred, I was reluctant about buying the Pack. I was not impressed with the seemingly flimsy flat floor and the less than sleek hull shape; however, it was not advertised in the right places, so I had the opportunity to keep coming back to it. The weight of the Pack and my desire for a solo boat were the reasons I was still interested. After reading reviews at this site and negotiating the price for a barely used boat to $260, I purchased it.

I have found this boat to be a pure joy. I paddle it with a single blade in tight situations and a 9' double blade paddle from Spring Creek Outfitters in the open. With the double blade it is easy to keep tracking straight and at a good pace. For me, it is a little slow and tedious with a single blade. The longer double blade helps to keep your ride dry and much faster.

Having read the reviews from this site before the purchase, I was anticipating an unstable canoe that would require lowering the seat. I was completely surprised by the initial stability of this craft. I have paddled this craft solo, as well as with my 50# daughter and her 5# puppy in a bow seat mounted on the floor. I have not severely tested the secondary stability of the boat, but I have felt that this boat is very stable with the factory seat height.

At this time I am unable to paddle the Pack, as my 13 year old son grabs it and the double blade paddle and leaves my wife, daughter, and I far behind in our tandem.

This canoe is not sexy or impressive to look at, it is just fun to paddle and lightweight. Not perfect for everything or everyone, but it is still a 10.