Submitted: 05-20-2010 by dregsfan

I got a smokin’ deal on a used 2001 pre-GT Storm a couple months ago. I have owned two other poly touring kayaks; an Aquaterra Chinook, Dagger Magellan and currently own a Prijon Kodiak.

I am 6'3" tall, weight 205 lbs, and have size 12 shoes. The Storm fits me like a glove, It's a large kayak, but doesn’t feel or handle like a big boat. It's stable, but not a barge.

At first I thought that using a lever to raise and lower the rudder was a funky idea. Once I got it adjusted, it was great. My Dagger had the best hatches of any kayak I've owned, but the Storm's hatches are a close second. They are watertight and easy to use.

I ultimately came to the conclusion that I really only needed one 17 foot poly boat. I had to decide which one would sell. The Storm is a prettier boat, I like the hatches better and it has a tad more knee room. The Kodiak is made from a superior polyethylene, it has gas-pedal type foot braces. The seat and knee braces are adjustable and the seat is more comfortable. So I kept the Kodiak and sold the Storm. It was a tough decision. Both kayaks are great poly boats.

I would recommend the CD Storm to any skill level paddler.