Submitted: 05-13-2010 by Dave B.

The Trophy 126 is my first kayak, and I had done a lot of research before buying--which mostly just served to scare me and convince me that kayaking was difficult and frustrating.

To my surprise, the Trophy 126 is none of those things! It is AMAZINGLY stable at rest, even in choppy waters--I leaned it to the point of the coaming touching the water with no problems. Leaning it is a bit of a chore in the first place; the dihedral hull is very stable, and resists tipping well. I never have to pay attention to my body position while I'm fishing or fooling around.

As this is my first kayak, I can't say anything regarding speed. It goes as fast as I think it should, and I was pleasantly surprised in this area. Tracking is dead-on; waves and high wind may shift it laterally just a little (not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it), but never causes the 'yak to change its heading. It's such a joy to paddle in that fishing is now an afterthought. I just spend most of my time gliding around the water!

I'm also very impressed with the cargo capacity. The front hatch isn't much to scream about--it holds my GPS and emergency supplies--but the back hatch opens up into the rear bulkhead, and about a full third of the kayak can be packed full. Holds my rod, tackle box, backpacking tent, a small dry sack, and still isn't half full. Easily could be a weekender 'yak.

The rod mounts are in a good spot, I think, behind the seat and angled outward. They're easy enough to reach, and just right for trolling. My only gripe is that the flush-mount holders won't accommodate a fly rod. Not to worry, 'cause there's plenty of room in the cockpit!

Speaking of which, I'm a 6'0" guy at 185lbs, and there is legroom to spare! I can stretch my legs and feet all the way out, and there's still room!

In all, I'm VERY happy with my purchase. I'll add some more accessories as I get settled in, but I've already been out on it five times and haven't really felt I was missing anything. $300 on sale at Dick's made it a steal!

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: