Submitted: 04-22-2010 by mark

I have the Dick's version "kay-noe" which described before is a Discovery 119.

Overall it's a good small and extremely cheap boat. Is it even remotely close to a $2600 Bell? No, BUT...can I throw it in the back of the pickup, scratch it and feel good that I am just using this $300 boat to it's limits? One big YES.

I use a double paddle to go up river (not too swift) and a single back down. It's really tough to J stroke this canoe, and a C stroke doesn't work either. You can move this canoe best with a longer double paddle. Correction strokes just stop this canoe dead in its tracks, it's just too short.

The seat is terrible as well. It was too high to start and the backrest was taken off within minutes of purchase. I modified the seat numerous times and ended up just tearing it out. I sit/kneel on a large yoga block which works out well.

I also fashioned my own thwart for it that attaches to the gunwales, which makes it a ton easier to portage. Make one if you want or just drag this beast around. Did I mention it's cheap? Ha.

OS Systems: