Submitted: 04-20-2010 by Martin Kerr

Had the sprinter for a few weeks now and love it to bits. I tried a K1 racing kayak and just couldn't stay in it for more that 100 yards. The sprinter feels almost as fast but is just stable enough for my ample bulk to not fall off it.

It is easy to car top as it is so long it loads (one end first) like a sea kayak. The rudder and peddles work very well and are super fast to adjust. Upwind and downwind it is superb. Cross wind and cross waves I am still a bit nervous in it but I already feel my core muscles and balance improving so this is probably a problem with me and not the boats stability.

It has quite a reassuring secondary stability that I didn't think was there but found when I messed up. The two times I have nearly tipped have laughably been when gliding and not paddling. The boat is so low to the water that when you balance the paddle across the gunwales it is common for one blade to catch the water and give you a surprise. I started using my wooden Greenland style paddle and this cured the problem. Very long slim blades. It also slowed me down to sub-divorce speeds when paddling with the family.

The only real negative is that at 15stone I am constantly sitting in a few inches of water. I have not tried scupper plugs but will update if they help. I kayak in a light wetsuit or cycling tights which dry quickly so no real problem. Might think differently in the middle of winter?

All in all a great boat. Will buy another if I manage to kill this one. (Unless I try a cobra eliminator and love it more.)