Submitted: 03-03-2010 by Marvin Long

I purchased my Talon about four months ago. Since then I have been able to get about 20 hours of paddling in and detail my experiences with the boat here. Previously I have paddled a Capella and a Nordkapp.

The attributes:

• Shipping:
    After I ordered the Talon it arrived approx. two weeks later. I communicated with a Peregrine sales rep and choose to have the boat shipped directly to my house. It arrived packaged well and with no damage.
  • Construction/Quality
    The construction and quality of the Talon by Peregrine is excellent. The boat weighed in at 48lbs, and was perfectly sealed. The finish was smooth with no scratches or dull areas. The skeg extends and retracts smoothly. The rubber hatches create a perfect seal on all hatch openings, though because they are new take a little work putting on. The Talon is a "Moderate Greenland" design where the chine is softened but the boat still has the characteristic Greenland shape. The boat also has a little more rocker than normal for turning.
  • Comfort
    Since I routinely spend 2+ hours in a boat comfort is essential. I choose the Moderate Greenland style for a roomier feel (I'm 195lbs). The fit is perfect for my size, not too large, but also not too tight for a larger paddler. The thigh braces are located in a perfect position and create a snug fit for extra control over the boat. The fiberglass seat while light-weight is a little hard, so I took the added foam shipped with the Talon and adhered it to the seat for added cushioning. I would highly recommend this as it makes the ride far more comfortable than the factory fiberglass seat. Backrest provides support and is adjustable.
  • Speed
    The speed of the Talon at over 17' long was not a problem, plenty of speed, definitely an open water kayak
  • Stability
    The flatter and narrower hull on the Talon creates excellent initial stability and with practice has good secondary stability. For a novice kayaker however, putting on edge itís pretty easy to go all the way over, after a while in the boat I mastered this and edging was easy.
  • Overall Performance
    The Talon is fast, and has great stability. It is an excellent smooth water kayak (what I mostly use it for) and is harder to control in rougher weather and larger waves, and thus takes more practice. The rocker allows the boat to turn quickly when the skeg is pulled up and on edge.
In short the Talon has proved to be a high quality performance oriented kayak. Light and fast, it's a great overnight touring kayak for trips, or just going out for a day run. If paddled in rougher water it can be a lot of fun, but takes a little practice. I would highly recommend this kayak to anyone (like me) looking for an affordable, high quality, performance kayak.

Botetourt County Tourism: