Submitted: 03-01-2010 by glennkresge

I love this canoe. I have had all kinds of canoes over the years: composites, wood and aluminum. I have been canoeing for over 50 years; and have canoed all over this great land of ours. My experience includes white water, still water and open water. Now, how does the Grumman 13 fit into all of this? well, I was looking for a light canoe that would not be to hard on my 56 year old back, and a canoe that would be used for all purpose - but mostly for still water. I looked at the ultra lights kevlar - and was very close to buying one at the price $2,400; then I was told that they do not hold-up more than five years when stored outside. My last stop was the Grumman dealer-I was wanting a 15 Ft. Then I saw the 13 Ft. went over and pick it up-I liked it. I have now used it for a season in all kinds of weather; it handles great on still water with its standard keel (tracks great) and is fast with the many coats of aluminum wax on her hull. The so called noise factor has been way over stated by the anti-aluminum folks-it is not a concern, and I use this canoe for wildlife photography too. In closing, I call this canoe the Mighty Grumman. It brings back those days long ago when I was a Boy Scout Aquatics instructor teaching the sport of canoeing. Now, when I'm out there soloing I often smile and think some things don't need to change. The Grumman is one of them.