Submitted: 11-18-2009 by CRB

I used a Werner Ikelos 210 bentshaft for three months paddling S.E. Alaska. I am 5'10", I have grown up with manual labor, though I would be able to handle the strain of such large blades. I found that after the third week I was starting to have slight shoulder and wrist trouble, which I attributed to the excessive blade dimensions. I acquired a Werner Athena 215 bent small shaft midtrip, (special ordered and shipped to Petersburg, AK) which I used as a primary paddle. Its small blade size and small shaft saved me. My shoulder and wrist troubles went away quickly, I started out by saving the Ikelos for larger seas, higher winds, etc. Gradually I worked back into a routine of including the larger paddle more and more. It worked, and all troubles with the Ikelos went away.

Hands down the smoothest bite and largest catch you'll ever find. This paddle cuts through the water so sweetly and putting the paddle in the water locks it in place. How you pull is up to you. Incredibly light and strong, worth every single penny. Anyone who has ever spent any time pulling water with something this light, strong and smooth can't go backwards.