Submitted: 09-30-2009 by MH

I've had an opportunity to rent several different SOT yaks for ocean recreation off Pacific Coast in Santa Barbara past two years. Ocean Kayak stood out as a superior quality product. When I decided to buy my criteria were focused upon speed and stability. All SOT's are pretty slow so yet I didnít want to experience buyer's remorse from choosing stability over speed. Like most folks I didnít want to struggle with transportation so something under 15 feet and 60 pounds made the most sense. I settled in on a Prowler 13 Angler. This model doesn't perform best for any one task which is why I love it. I'm in this for exercise, fishing and just enjoy being out on the water. I didn't want to feel overly compromised with any one thing and I don't plan on buying more than one yak.

If you have a single purpose need in a yak this model isn't for you. If you believe it's not the tool but the man behind it and like variety a P13A is perfect. My main advice is make sure you have a rudder as even in calm conditions I found it allows me to focus on speed and my surroundings rather than being distracted with constant minor paddling corrections to maintain a straight line.