Submitted: 09-10-2009 by joelbolden
I bought the Kay-noe version of the Disco 119 late last winter at Dicks for $400.00. I've been canoeing for around 20 years, and at the time also owned an old Sawyer Guide and a 14' Wenonah tandem. I've used it mainly on small lakes, but have done some class II creeks with it. With no problems.

Like most folks are saying, the seat is awful. I removed it and installed a Mad River web conversion seat smack in the middle and lowered it around 3 inches. That took care of both the stability and paddling problems. I wouldn't even consider using a single paddle with this boat except for maneuvering around when I'm fishing (great little fishing canoe). I've a 9 foot Shaw & Tenny double canoe paddle that cost damned near as much as the canoe and is worth every penny. By placing the seat midships, my paddle reaches to the bow and allows me a long, easy stroke. I can flat move that canoe. Had a couple of kids in kayaks decide to race me last Sunday, and they lost. I was a bit bigger and stronger though, but not by much.

The canoe does feel a bit unstable for the first few minutes until I bond with it, then it's no problems. I don't understand people climbing into something that narrow and then complaining about instability. Buy a rowboat. It's a canoe for heaven's sakes. Ended up giving the old Sawyer away, and while I love the Wenonah, that 40 lbs(different seat) and really good performance with that great paddle made it my goto boat this past summer. Between this one and the Wenonah, I'm having a hard time justifying another....but I will:).