Submitted: 09-08-2009 by David

I've had the Pack canoe (Angler edition) for two years now as we travel with our motorhome around the USA. This is a sweet boat at only 33 pounds. It's on top of the motorhome on a special canoe/kayak rack custom made, and I just slide it down to the ground by a line with a carpet on top to protect the paint finish. Reverse it for placing back on the top. Very easy since it is so light to handle.

We have been in large and small lakes, streams and rivers, even ocean bays. Primarily I like it for flyfishing on small bodies of water or in streams/small rivers up to class two. I moved the fishing rod holder closer to the bow front away from my action/sweep of the kayak paddle. Note that with the kayak paddle I have no problem with tracking. Easy! I use about a 240 paddle because of the boat width.

I am now building new anchor holds for bow and stern using a small pyramid anchor for each, with wood mountings that extend beyond the canoe for easy use of the anchor lines. Last week I was fishing for trout in Central Oregon and my anchor line didn't reach bottom and when it did, wouldn't hold because of the wind. The anchor that comes with the boat for the Angler's edition is too light in my opinion. By time I finish modifications this will be one great canoe for fishing.

By the way, although this canoe does fairly well in wind, it is no match for a kayak which is much lower and better designed for speed. I do carry a Necky Manitou 14 kayak with us and a Cayuga 13 kayak for my wife. These are great in the wind and I do use them for fishing when the wind gets too bad. Mostly though the kayaks are for exploring which is limitless here in the Northwest. I love my Pack canoe as well as the Cayuga 13 kayak, both made by Old Town. This means I can paddle a variety of waters in different conditions.

Botetourt County Tourism: