Submitted: 08-10-2009 by sunstorm87

I've been kayaking on and off for about 10 years now. I've owned two tandems, a loon 160T and a 17' kevlar boat, and a single, a Hobie Mirage Sport with sail. I also own a Sunfish Sailboat. I bought the Vapor 10 for a cheap fun boat that I can take onto any body of water that I please. When the wind is too high to go sailing (which it can be in ND), I'll go take this thing out for some fun in the waves (I hope).

My Vapor 10 base model was delivered today. Overall, fit and finish was really nice for a rotomolded boat. Everything about it is what you would expect for only paying 379 for it. The thigh pads might be a bit flimsy for good control, but we will see how it performs out on the water. The edge is a bit sharp under the coaming, so I'll have to remember to wear gloves when carrying it. The foot pegs are really nice. I would prefer the boat be an inch more narrow for a bit more speed/room to paddle but it was designed to be recreational, not touring. The jam cleat seat back adjusting system is clever, and useful, as without the seatback in the upright position, the spray skirt pops off.

Speaking of sprayskirts, I purchased a 7.0 Inslander from Seals and it fits so tight that I had to use a bungee cord on either end attached to the carrying handles of the boat to get the thing on. We will see how this works out on the water. To my knowledge this is the only spray skirt currently out there for the Vapor 10. Some grip tape under the lip of the coaming wouldn't hurt to prevent the sprayskirt from falling off. The boat's plastic is very very smooth.

I bought a Bending Branches slice crank paddle 230cm with this boat. A 230 is a must, lest you want your hands torn up and bumping against the hull with every stroke. For anyone getting into kayaking, and looking to move forward with it, I recommend getting a paddle like this. It puts your hands at a more natural position. Giving you more control, power, and less strain on your wrists/forearms. They are also lightweight, which makes for an enjoyable paddling experience. You can stay out longer when you aren't worn out. Worth every penny of the 130 bucks I spent on it.

Anyways, that's my review for now...going to take it to the lake this weekend and see how she performs.

Botetourt County Tourism: