Submitted: 07-27-2009 by JMP

I've owned a Chatham 16 ACL for 3 years now. I've been paddling for about ten years, am a Level 1 instructor (paddle canada) and an overnight guide with the SKGABC. This boat is perfect for its intended purpose.

Three things I have noticed in this thread that could use comment. The boat "slams" into waves only when unladen, precisely because in these conditions it is working as a playboat. When laden with 100 lbs of gear it slices like a knife. If people would access the hydrodynamic tables on the Chatham 16 at Seakayakermagazine.com they would be amazed at the righting moment for this craft when a 150 lb. paddler with 100 lbs of cargo is considered. It is literally one of the most stable, yet manouverable kayaks produced today. Speed is often a commented topic. The boat is only 16'6". If you want more than 3.5 knots - get a longer boat.

The hatches do leak. The fix (as Necky has obviously learned) is a neatly applied coating of 3M Marine Adhesive to the rim/hull connection. As to boat volume, I pack like a hiker and have no problem packing for 6-7 days, which, if we are honest is all 95% of all of us really need.