Submitted: 07-20-2009 by dregsfan

I picked up a Kodiak a couple months ago. I had previously owned a Dagger Magellan 16.5, but found it a little too confining for my feet when using the rudder pedals. I have no such problem with the Kodiak. It's larger, but doesn't feel or handle like a big boat. It's stable, but not a barge. The gas-pedal type foot braces are amazing. All boats should adopt them. The bungee nets on the decks are handier than I thought they would be. With only two 1/4" neo pads (one for each butt cheek), the stock seat bottom is very comfy. I didn't care for the Prijon seat back and that's the only reason I didn't give the Kodiak a 10 rating. I replaced it with the best back band around, an IR Reggie.

One of my kayaking buddies calls it the Hummer of kayaks. It's big, it's tough, it's not as elegant looking as a composite sea kayak and it can carry a ton. The plastic Prijon uses is incredible. It can take any abuse a paddler could dish out. The plastic has a matte finish that takes some getting used to. I had intended to upgrade to a glass or kevlar boat, but my finances didn't allow it. I am glad I decided on the Prijon. The composite boats may be cooler looking and lighter, but when the going gets tough (and rocky), they can't compete.

I would recommend the Kodiak to any skill level paddler and whatever you do, get the rudder.