Submitted: 07-11-2009 by Tx Charlie

I have had the Pelican for 13 months now. I initially bought it because of the price $350.00 and the need to hit the water. I only solo fished for the first year and had could made no comparisons with any other yaks. During this time I did read many bad reviews from folks on the kayak fishing web site I regularly attend and started thinking that I had a bad boat. That all changed a couple of weeks ago when I took a 12 mile trip down the south Llano river with my brother in law who was in his Ocean Kayak Caper. I was loaded to the gills as I was expected to all the fishing equipment, and the ice chest. At first I had the ice chest rigged above the front hatch and took on a little water going thru the rapids. With this load and the water I was still faster than my bro-in-law when paddling and would out coast him. A tracking comparison was hard to make as I was rigged like a big sail and his yak had no accessories on it, so the wind was working on me. But still I was able to correct for the wind and had to work to keep my speed down to his. We each made it through the same rapids, we both drug bottom in the same places. I of course drug a little more bottom with the greater weight I was carrying. I did notice that my yak, which I have rigged out extensively, with additional cleats, anchor trolly, milk crate w/ rod holders etc. was much easier to rig out or had more gunwale space for rigging than his Caper. After the trip I was now very sure I made a good choice in kayaks especially considering the cost vs performance. His bright yellow is cuttier than my camo green.

As for all the people with rod holder issues: Just spread your legs, hang your feet in the water and scoot forward till you can reach the rod holder. I am 6'-1" so I don't have a problem with the rod holder but that is how I access the storage hatch. The bow will go down and the scuppers will take on water, NO BIG DEAL. When you set back down all will return to normal.

Talic: