Submitted: 05-18-2009 by gapaddles

I just bought my Old Town Guide 147 yesterday. The canoe I bought is about 10 years old (molded seats but not seat backs). Until today, my canoeing experience was 2 or 3 times out in mammoth canoes that felt like tanks. A friend (another novice) and I took a 4 mile trip down the Ocmulgee River today as a trial run.

When we first left the bank, we had some serious side to side wobble (which I expected from some of the comments here)...but after a few minutes we got that under control. The Guide was completely unlike anything I'd ever canoed before...fast, graceful and simple. I'm 6'3" 280 and my friend is 6'1" 260. I was worried about legroom up front, but it wasn't a problem at all. So there we were...2 novices (540lbs) plus the cooler (35lbs?), and we felt completely comfortable after the first few minutes of working out the wobble.

We covered our 4 miles in an hour and 15 minutes...MUCH quicker than we anticipated and hoped. We moved to another spot upriver and put in again, this time paddling upstream. The Guide handled it with ease! I couldn't be happier! Looking forward to many, many more canoe trips in my secondhand Guide.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: